Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mistakes and Scones.

So I was trying a new recipe out overnight.  It was one of those, you throw everything in the crockpot and VOILA! you have breakfast in the morning.  Not this morning!  About 4:30am this morning, I was up with the baby, it started to smell like something was burning!  I shoved my poor dh and told him to go please check our breakfast.  I heard clanking and then my dh walked back to me to say that the outside had burnt and the inside still looked like mush.  ACK!  So my head went into overdrive!  I couldn't believe that I had wasted 14 slices of bread ($2), a dozen eggs ($1.50), ham ends ($2 something), and shredded cheese (which we got through WIC).  Then my hubby looked at me and said..."It's okay."  IT'S OKAY?!?  "It's only like what...$5?"  That made me stop.  If my husband who brings in the money is okay that his breakfast was ruined and that he was going to have cold cereal later, then okay...I will try and be fine with it too!  So I am unable to determine if the ruined meal was human error, recipe failure, or even my crockpot acting wierd. So no reviews for that recipe, but I have another one down below!  :)  Enjoy!


Scones
Taken from MOMYS Cookbook
Tested on September 7, 2010, by DH, DC, and YCGP.

Ingredients:

3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. butter
Milk
Topping:
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Heat oven to 375*.  Lightly grease cooking sheet.  In a med. bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1 tsp of cinnamon; blend well.  Cut in 1 c. of butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add milk and stir just until moist.  On a floured surface, gently knead dough 5 or 6 times.  Place on greased cookie sheet; pres into 2 6-inch circles, about 1 inch thick.  Brush top of dough with melted butter.  In a small bowl, combine sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon; sprinkle over top.  Cut dough into 16 wedges (8 in each circle); separate slightly.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown.

Guinea Pig rating:  ***  (3/5)

What I did:  I cut the recipe in half and added chocolate chips.  I also sprayed the top of my scone with olive oil, instead of brushing it with melted butter.  Even with the chocolate chips, the scone wasn't as sweet as the other recipe I usually use.
What will I do differently next time:  I will use the other scone recipe I have that we all love better.

No comments:

Post a Comment