Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Taken from the WIC 2010 Try Something NEW! Calendar
Tested October 6, 2010 by DH, DC, and YCGP

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
1/4 cup celery; diced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
2T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated swiss cheese

Directions:

Place vegetables and broth in saucepan and bring to a boilReduce heat, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender.  In a bowl, mix milk, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.  Add to cooked vegetables.  Cook, stirring constantly until soup is lightly thickened and mixture just begins to boil.  Remove from heat.  Add cheese and stir until melted.

Guinea Pig rating: **** (4/5)

What I did:  I didn't have any celery in the house, so I just added extra broccoli.  My husband took over cooking the soup halfway through.  He added some mozzerella cheese and powdered milk (not sure how much...sorry) to help it thicken it a little more.  He likes his soup thick.

What will I do next time:  Oh, there is definetly going to be a next time!  I will use cheddar cheese instead of swiss and mozzerella.  I will also add the celery in there AND I will use whole milk (per my husband.  He just doesn't care for 1%).

No comments:

Post a Comment