Tested by DH, DC, & YCGP
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apple - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 2 Tablespoons of flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the fruit. Pour batter into prepared muffin pans.
- In a small bowl, cut in the butter with the brown sugar and flour. Sprinkle lightly over the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
This recipe is amazing! You can substitute any fruit instead of the apples. I cannot wait to try blueberries, raspberries (in the summer), peaches, and whatever else I can come up with! Enjoy the recipe!